Probate is the legal procedure of administering the estate of someone who has passed away. It is done under the supervision of the probate court which is subject to Ohio law. Its purpose is to identify and value the decedent’s assets and belongings, ensure that all taxes and debts owed by the estate are paid, and distribute what remains to the heirs and beneficiaries who are entitled to receive them. Where the decedent had a valid will, the estate will be transferred according to its terms. Where no will exists or it is found to be invalid, the estate will be transferred according to state inheritance laws.
How Morgan Law Offices Can Help With Your Ohio Probate Case
The process of probate can be quite complex or may fall into dispute among its interested parties. Either way, Morgan Law Offices can provide the advice, counsel, and representation you need in any aspect of the probate process. Our Columbus probate attorney has a wealth of experience, knowledge, and skills that can be used on your behalf in probate matters. If you have been named as an executor or administrator of the estate or are an heir, beneficiary, or another interested party that needs assistance in the probate process, you can work with Attorney Kelly Morgan. He is a proven civil trial lawyer who has been in practice for 45 years. He has a strong background in financial and taxation matters as a former CPA as well.
Reach out to Morgan Law Offices to book a free initial consultation with our Columbus probate attorney. Contact us via email or at (614) 714-4800. Serving clients in Columbus, New Albany, Delaware County, Dublin & Westerville.
How Does Probate Work in Ohio?
Probate consists of the following steps which are taken by the executor or administrator who manages the estate:
- Make the will available to the court for validation
- Identify and safeguard all of the decedent’s property and assets
- Get the property/assets appraised or valued
- Notify any creditors who are owed money from the estate
- Pay off any creditors for debts owed as well as any taxes due out of estate funds
- Distribute the remaining assets/property/personal belongings according to the terms of the will or, without a will, per state law
Executors/administrators have a fiduciary duty to be honest in dealing with all interested parties, including creditors as well as heirs and beneficiaries. He or she must serve the best interests of everyone involved as well as follow the terms of the will as laid out by the decedent. Executors/administrators must keep detailed records of the actions taken and their costs throughout the probate process.
How Long Does Probate Take in Ohio?
Probate in Ohio can take anywhere from several months to a year or more.
Generally, the timeline for probate depends on whether a will exists and how complicated the estate is. In addition, other factors such as filing deadlines, tax obligations, court approvals, and disagreements between beneficiaries may extend the timeline. The length of time for probate may also depend on the probate court handling the case. In some cases, a probate attorney can help move the process along more efficiently and quickly.
It is important to note that there are laws in Ohio that limit how long an executor of a will has to complete the probate process. Thus, it is helpful to seek help from a qualified attorney if you are dealing with a complex probate matter.
Summary Release from Administration
In some cases, a “Summary Release from Administration” may be granted by the court which bypasses the normal probate process. These cases must meet certain conditions, such as estates that have a small value. Our attorney can advise you on this and all other aspects of Ohio probate.
What Are the Benefits of Probate Administration?
Probate administration is the legal process that ensures an individual's assets are distributed according to their wishes after they pass away. This process may seem daunting, but it is essential to protect your loved one's estate and ensure that their wishes are carried out.
Some of the benefits of probate administration include:
- Ensuring that your loved one's assets are distributed according to their wishes
- Providing legal protection to the executor or administrator of the estate
- Resolving disputes among family members or other interested parties
- Ensuring that all debts and taxes are paid before assets are distributed
- Providing a clear and legal transfer of assets to beneficiaries
Our knowledgeable Columbus probate attorneys at Morgan Law Offices LLC can walk you through the procedure for probate. Our attorneys are committed to giving each and every one of our clients individualized, effective legal counsel. We recognize that the probate procedure might be intimidating, but with our help, you can go through it with assurance and comfort.
Protect Your Loved One's Estate with Probate Administration
The probate process may be required for a deceased loved one's estate in order to guarantee that their belongings are dispersed in accordance with their final desires. Our professional probate attorneys in Columbus, OH at Morgan Law Offices LLC are available to assist you in safeguarding the estate of your departed loved one and to walk you through the steps of the probate administration process.
Here's how our probate administration services can benefit you:
- Expert Guidance: Our knowledgeable probate lawyers will explain the probate process in Ohio and answer any questions you may have. We will handle all the legal complexities, ensuring that you comply with the necessary legal requirements.
- Efficient Administration: We understand that probate can be a time-consuming process. Our team will work diligently to complete all the necessary paperwork, file documents with the court, and manage the estate's assets to expedite the administration process.
- Conflict Resolution: If any disputes or conflicts arise during probate, our experienced attorneys can help you navigate through them. We will work towards amicable resolutions, protecting your loved one's estate from unnecessary legal battles.
- Asset Protection: We will ensure that your loved one's assets are properly accounted for and protected during the probate process. Our attorneys will work to minimize estate taxes, debts, and other liabilities to maximize the value of the estate for beneficiaries.
- Peace of Mind: Dealing with probate can be overwhelming, especially during a difficult time. By entrusting the probate administration to our skilled attorneys, you can have peace of mind knowing that your loved one's estate is in capable hands.
You don't need to navigate the probate process by yourself. Reach out to experienced probate lawyers in Columbus, OH at Morgan Law Offices LLC and request a consultation by calling (614) 714-4800.
"He listened patiently and then provided me with sound advice which I used to get out of a difficult and stressful situation. Plus, knowing that he was there to back me gave me real peace of mind."Emily B.
"Kelly Morgan took time to listen and understand my situation. When you go through such a fragile time in life it's nice to know you have someone solid in your corner to help you legally."Ally M.
"He worked my child support/ parenting agreement quickly and efficiently! I contacted Him and before you know it I was walking out of court with conditions and terms in my favor!"DJ S.
45+ Years Experience
Same Day Appointments Available
Former Certified Public Accountant